Rules and Regulations
2023 Ballroom Beach Bash - Rules and Regulations
Dance Levels and Age Divisions
Number of Levels allowed
Adult Students may dance two age divisions and 4 levels. They may enter at their true level of dance and three higher in any one style of dance. Open categories do not count as a level and may be danced in addition to the 4 levels. A student may only dance their true age and an additional younger age category.
Preteen, Juniors, and Youth may enter their true age category and one division older.
Different Styles - Different levels
Students may enter in completely different levels of dance in differing Styles of Dance.
A Pro/Am student may dance the Open Bronze, Open Silver and Open Gold levels (all 3 levels) if the student is in fact a true Bronze level dancer. The student’s level will be determined by the single dances entered (A Bronze level student is one who dances the majority of their single dances in the Bronze Level).
Merging Age and Gender divisions
In any category with three entries or less, the organizer reserves the right to eliminate the age and sex divisions and merge competitors into one category. All Silver, Gold and Advanced divisions will be ladies and gentlemen combined if fewer than 3 competitors
Closed One Dance Divisions - Restricted to Syllabus
Closed Single and Multi-Dance Bronze divisions, the material danced should be from the N.D.C.A. list of Approved Figures, Elements & Restrictions. All other Closed levels and Dances not covered by this list, should be from NDCA approved members' syllabus. See NDCA Rules section at bottom of BallroomBeachBash.com Entries page.
Closed Category Invigilators
A panel of invigilators will be used for all restricted categories (closed divisions). The categories will be strictly supervised and competitors
See NDCA Rules section on BallroomBeachBash.com Entries page.
Open One Dance Divisions - Not Restricted to Syllabus
Open Bronze, Open Silver, Open Gold, Open Gold Star Open divisions may use figures from any levels. Students may dance lower age and higher levels in Open.
Closed Dance Categories
Newcomer, Beg Bronze, Int. Bronze, Full Bronze
Pre Silver, Int. Silver, Full Silver
Pre Gold , Int. Gold, Full Gold,
Open Dance Categories
Open Bronze, Open Adv Bronze, Open Silver, Open Adv Silver, Open Gold, Open Advanced
The age of the Amateur or the Student is the only consideration. Pre-Teen, Junior and Youth competitors may dance up one age classification. Pro/Am One-Dance Age Classifications:
Pro/Am One-Dance Age Classifications:
Li'l Squirt (7 & under)
Pre-Teen 1 (9 & under)
Pre-Teen 2 (10-11)
Junior 1 (12-13)
Junior 2 (14-15)
A1 (18-30), A2 (31-40), A3 (41-50)
B1 (51-60), B2 (61-69)
C1 (70-80), C2 (81+)
Pro/Am Championships Age Classifications:
Closed and Open Multi Dance Championships: A (18-35), B (36-50), C (51+), Seniors (61+), Masters (70+). Closed Bronze and Silver 6 Dance Championships: A (18-35), B (36+)
Pro/Am Scholarships Age Classifications:
Closed and Open Scholarships: A (18-35), B (36-50), C (51+), Senior (61+), Masters (70+)
Pro/Am Scholarship Events
To qualify for the scholarship events, a student must be entered in 4 Single Dances for Smooth and 5 Single dances, Solo, or Pro/Am One Dance competitions for EACH SCHOLARSHIP EVENT ENTERED. Please note that Multi-Dance categories do not fulfill the dance requirement noted above. - Students may only enter one Closed Scholarship level in the same style. -Students MAY enter unlimited Open scholarships in the same style.
Dancers must stay within the Bronze & Silver Syllabus, competitors committing infractions may be disqualified.
Open Scholarship dancers are not restricted to syllabi.
No Solo Exhibition is to exceed two minutes (2:00). Music must be on individual CD, or usb drive and must be submitted at least 30 minutes prior to dancing the solo event. Critique/Score Sheets will be given on Solo Exhibitions only.
Awards Top Teacher Qualifications Rules. _____
-1st place $3500 plus bonus $3500 (possible $7,000) with a minimum qualification of 300 adult Pro-Am entries
- 2nd place $2000 plus bonus $1000 (possible $3,000)with a minimum qualification of 200 adult Pro-Am entries
- 3d place $1000 plus bonus $500 (possible $1,500)with a minimum qualification of 135 adult Pro-Am entries
- 4th place $750 plus bonus $350 (possible $1,100)with a minimum qualification of 125 adult ProAm entries
- 5th place $550 plus bonus $250 (possible $800)with a minimum qualification of 115 adult ProAm entries
- 6th place $450 plus bonus $200 (possible $650)with a minimum qualification of 100 adult ProAm entries
- 7th place $350 plus bonus $150 (possible $500)with a minimum qualification of 85 adult ProAm entries
- 8th place $250 plus bonus $125 (possible $375)with a minimum qualification of 75 adult ProAm entries
Total Top Teacher Prize Money with Bonus's earned - $14,925. All dances must be danced to qualify for top teacher points which include qualification for Pro/Am DanceSport Series entries.
_____ Calculation of bonus qualification Entries:
- Each Single Pro-Am dance danced counts as 1 Point.
- Each Pro-Am Multi-dance and Scholarship event danced counts as 2 Points. Placement Points earned by Teachers for each Pro/Am Entry
_____ Calculation of Points:
Adult Pro-Am Single or 2 Dance Entry
1st Place 8 points
2nd Place 7 points
3rd Place 6 points
4th Place 5 points
5th Place 4 points
6th Place 3 points
7th Place 2 points
8th Place 1 point
Recall 4 points
_____ Adult Pro-Am Multi 3, 4 , or 6 Dance Entry
1st Place 20 points
2nd Place 15 points
3rd Place 10 points
4th Place 8 points
5th Place 6 points
6th Place 4 points
7th Place 2 points
8th Place 2 point
Recall 5 points
For each and every recall from 1 or 2 dance preliminary rounds - 4 points
For each and every recall from 3 or more dance preliminary rounds -5 points
_____ Pro/Am entries in the Pre-Teen, Junior & Youth categories will receive the following points:
1 point for Single Dance Entries
3 points for Multi-Dance Entries
There will be no placement points in these categories
Top Studio Awards Trophies
will be awarded to the top studios in the following categories:
1) Small Studio (1 -2 competing students) 6
2) Medium Studio (3 - 6 competing students)
3) Large Studio (7 or more competing students)
4) Overall Top Studio
Student Participation Awards
Every Adult Pro/Am student and Amateur couple competing in single-dance events will receive a participation certificate.
Pre-Teen, Junior & Youth Pro/Am competitors will receive a trophy.
Trophies will be presented to the Top Male and Female Students in each of the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels for American and International Style Single Dances. Also, trophies will be awarded for the Top solo exhibitions in each level.
All competing Professionals and Amateurs must be currently registered with the NDCA. Proof of registration will be required. Registration forms will be available at the competition or may be requested by mailing the NDCA c/o : Eleanor Wiblin, PO BOX 22018, Provo, Utah 84602, 801-422-8124 or go to www.ndca.org
- Please be advised that changes may be made from the original program and all dancers should be in the ballroom at least 30 minutes prior to the time they are scheduled to dance. -Dancers are requested to be in the “On Deck” area at least two heats prior to their scheduled heat.
-Any competitor not on the floor when the Master of Ceremonies calls, is subject to possible disqualification for that heat.
All persons attending this event, whether as spectators, officials, competitors or guests of the Organizers shall be bound by the N.D.C.A. rules and, by participating in this competition, automatically become obliged to adhere to those rules. See NDCA Rules section on BallroomBeachBash.com Entries page
Posters and Flyers
No signs, posters, etc. will be placed on the premises without permission of organizers.
Videotaping and Photography
No personal video cameras will be allowed. No sale of images taken in the competition ballroom is permitted except by the contracted photographer. Professionally produced videos and photographs will be available for purchase.
_____ Ticket Orders
All sales are final. No refunds, exchanges or cancellations. The purchaser is responsible for lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed tickets so when you receive your tickets, please keep them in a safe place.
Tickets to the event will not be mailed out. They are available for purchase online for download or pick up at Will Call.
_____ Equal, or Best Available
- Seating preferences will be based on package and receipt of entries and payment. Spectator seating will be based on when the paid order is received.
- Please note that we cannot accommodate seating separate orders together since the tickets are assigned when purchased.
- Occasionally, the tickets you order may no longer be available at the time your order is received. In this situation, we will issue tickets for what we deem to be the next best available for your request.
Forms of Payment and Cancellation/Refund Policy
Forms of Payment
By March 21st - Payment can be made either by personal or Studio check, cashier's check, money order, cash or credit card. Personal and Studio checks will only be accepted up to March 21st.
After March 21st - Payments made after March 21st , must be in the form of Cash, Cashiers Check or Credit Card (there is a 4% surcharge added to credit card payments). Dance Entry Cancellations All Entry Cancellations submitted 24 hours before the event will be accepted and refunded. Packages
Meal Package Cancellations On Time
- Package Cancellations submitted in writing by March 25th will be accepted and refunded.
Late - Package Cancellations submitted in writing after March 25th and before April 8th will only be refunded (after deducting a $75 per person service fee) in cases of emergency, or when accompanied by a Doctor's Certificate. Organizers decision on such matters is final.
- At the Event - No refund will be made on package Cancellations taken at the event and such cancellations except in cases of emergency, or when accompanied by a Doctor's Certificate (after deducting a $75 per person service fee). Organizers decision on such matters is final.
Session Tickets Refunds
- No exchanges or refunds will be made on admission tickets. (all ticket sales are final, non-exchangeable and non-refundable).
_____ Amateur Competitors
- Dress and/or costuming for Junior, Youth & Adult must adhere to NDCA costuming requirements. - Inappropriate costuming will be grounds for disqualification. - For rules and regulations See NDCA Rules section on BallroomBeachBash.com Entries page. (Amateur dress codes starts at page 33).
Wednesday Evening: Club attire
Thursday Day: Beach Casual
Thursday Evening: Business attire
Friday Day: Beach Casual
Friday Evening: Beach Formal
Saturday Day: Beach Casual
Saturday Evening: Formal or Business attire.